At this time of the year, nothing says Christmas like the smell of baked goods. Usually my house is filled with it because of all the birthdays we have. I’m usually baking cakes, cupcakes or cookies on any given day, but thankfully, usually after the 8th of December, we have put the birthdays to rest and my baking frenzy is over for week until the Christmas crazy begins.
I like having natural smells in the home, so whenever I want that baked good smell I use the following recipe I got from ehow.com
- Begin by boiling a small saucepan of water on a back burner.
- Slice an orange or grate orange peel directly into saucepan.
- Turn the water down to a simmer and add a half teaspoon of nutmeg.
- Add a stick of cinnamon or the equivalent of a half teaspoon of cinnamon if using the spice in it’s ground form.
- Add one small clove as this spice is very overpowering if used in excess.
- Turn your heat down as low as it will go. Check the pan once an hour to determine if more water is needed.